Sunday, February 8, 2009

Flip this House - Part Two

Wow! what a weekend. I have never worked so hard in my whole life. Don't ever let anyone tell you that managing a single employee is easy. I had to use every management technique I could think of to keep Kenny on task. I even did a lot of the low intensity of painting myself. I did have to take regular breaks, because I am still having some complications from my foot surgery and can't be on my feet for extended periods of time. Anyway, we worked all day yesterday. It was gruelling but take a look at these pictures and I think you will agree that sometimes sweat equity does pay off.































Let me give you the run-down of what we did. We changed the entire exterior, updating it with a nice calming earthtone blend. A huge improvement from that ghastly 80's turquoise. For the kitchen, we wanted to give it a contemporary look. I have always loved black & white. It's timeless and as you can see gave this kitchen exactly what it needed. I have to give Kenny props for the bathroom. I'll admit I was hesitant at letting him do a room all by himself but, as you know from "Extreme Home Makeover," every renovated house needs at least one room with a theme -- and who doesn't love basketball. I actually think that bathroom might be the cheese on the mousetrap for someone.
Oh yes, I did thank you guys for bringing it to my attention the proximity of the adjacent home to ours. I look at it a little closer. It looks like there is some connecting walls. However, I didn't notice it originally so I do think many other people will either. So, we are going to start advertising it on craigslist and will try to get some video of the remodel on You Tube. I have some classic video of me inspiring Kenny with a megaphone. Getting it online may be a problem.(Once again, my computer keeps acting up. I keep getting these weird pop-ups and then the screen just goes blank for 30 seconds. I'm pretty sure it's the monitor. This will be the 6th monitor I've had in the last year. They just don't make them like they used to.
-Back to the home, if you know of anyone who might be interested send them my way.
-Hunter

5 comments:

Norm said...

Hunter -- you definitely are a "man for all seasons". Have I said before that I think there is really nothing you can't do when you put your mind to it? Inspiring!

I agree with you that the bathroom is the "cheese in the mousetrap." I thought the choice of the basketball theme was perfect. It gives the bathroom that classic junior high school locker-room feel that everyone can appreciate. Did Kenny paint the shower door himself, or did he find some kind of covering? If the latter, where could I get one for our bathroom?

I can't wait to access the You Tube videos from your project. I will try and figure out how to stream them to my 56" plasma and then invite my friends over to watch. Don't be surprised if your following grows exponentially after that!

I'm not an expert at home redecorating, but I would like to make one suggestion. I love where you are headed with the kitchen remodel, but I just think that adding one of those great cat clocks would be the perfect finishing touch. You know the one I mean -- the black cat clock with the tail and eyes that move back and forth with the passing seconds? Not only will it match the black and white, it will just flat-out bring sunshine into the hearts of anyone that walks into the kitchen.

Keep up the good work. You are the life-coach that all other life-coaches only wish they could be.

Norm said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Norm said...

By the way, here is a link to a picture of the "kit-cat" clock, just in case you weren't sure what I was referring to:

http://www.cattycorner.com/assets/images/Kit-CatClock.jpg

Is he cute, or what?

Hunter said...

Norm,

I know the clock well. And you are right not only would it match the modern colors but add just the right amount of intrigue to the kitchen. There were actually several other things we hope to add but have run into the budget constraints. To answer your question, Kenny did paint the shower door himself, but only under my direct supervision. I was giving him tips the whole time. The basketballs are actually stickers! Kenny got them at the "Linens and Things" liquidation sale. That was the most killer sale I've been too in a long time(and I don't even enjoy shopping at fabric stores).

A said...

Hunter,
Looks great, amazing you did that in one weekend. I wonder if the neighboring building would mind if you painted their exterior to match? Probably don't even need to ask...